Customer: Victorian State Government
Contract: Level Crossing Removal Project
Location: Victoria Australia
- 3 x Rail over road bridges
- 800 metres of track on the Altona Loop
- 3 level crossing removals
McConnell Dowell is the constructor within the Western Program Alliance, part of the Victorian State government’s ambitious level crossing removal program.
The Alliance brings together the Level Crossing Removal Project, MTM (network operator), and Arup and Mott Macdonald as design partners.
In its first two years, the Alliance successfully completed three level crossing removals in Melbourne’s western and south eastern suburbs, namely:
- Kororoit Creek Road in Williamstown North – a rail over road bridge and duplication of 800 metres of track on the Altona Loop.
- Abbots Road in Dandenong South – a rail over road bridge in an industrial zone
- Aviation Road in Laverton – a rail over road bridge within a busy shopping precinct.
Due to their excellent delivery performance, the Alliance was also awarded and completed the design and construction of a new train stabling facility in Wyndham Vale for V/Line.
The Alliance is now focused on delivering the next three level crossings between Werribee and Hoppers Crossing, and on the Cranbourne Line Upgrade in Melbourne’s south east. The latter project involves multiple level crossings, signalling works and 8km of track duplication.