Pioneering New Technology and Setting World Records.
Approaching 60 years’ experience, we have delivered safe, smart, efficient tunnels and underground spaces over 140 projects globally while minimising community and environmental impact.
With the delivery of over 152km of tunnels, outfalls, multiple stations, hydropower caverns, interchanges & underpasses, more than 4.8 million tonnes of earth & rock excavated, and our creative DNA to successfully pioneer new and innovative technologies, we are renowned for our capacity to provide fully integrated engineering and construction solutions. Our tunnelling and underground expertise encompasses every size, technology and technique from HDD, Direct Pipe®, micro-tunnelling and pipe jacking, through to sequential drill and blast, road header, New Austrian Tunnelling Method (NATM) / mechanical excavation and the full range of Tunnel Boring (TBM) techniques .
Our global reach and multidiscipline capability has seen successful delivery of transport, water/wastewater, power/energy, underpass, utility and mine related tunnels and underground structures.
Throughout the decades, creativity and innovation had been a hallmark of our approach, including:
- Construction of the first segmentally lined shield tunnel in Singapore in 1975
- Introducing pipe jacking technology to Australia, New Zealand & Asia in the late 1970s
- Constructing the first NATM tunnel in Australia in the 1980s
- Construction of complex pedestrian underpass tunnels in soft ground commencing in Singapore in the early 1980s
- Creating an unsurpassed world record in open TBM (size and type class) production for the Blue Mountains Sewage Transfer Scheme during the 1990s
- Delivering multiple award-winning hydropower projects and desalination plants during the 2000s
- Undertaking major project components on all four of the major LNG projects in QLD and PNG during the LNG Boom (QCLNG, APLNG, GLNG & PNG LNG)
- Delivery of the southern hemisphere’s current largest diameter TBM driven tunnel in 2017
- Setting a new world record (surpassing the previous distance by 500m) for Direct Pipe® technology in 2018, and then again in 2020 (2021m single drive);
- Five successful underwater marine TBM recoveries with 2 more in near future
- Completing the longest large diameter single pipe jack drive through continuous hard rock conditions world-wide in 2020