Customer: Major Road Projects Victoria
Contract: Design and Construct
- 9 km long multi-lane freeway
- Multiple bridge crossings
- Practical completion on track for late 2021
The McConnell Dowell Decmil Joint Venture is currently delivering the Mordialloc Freeway in Melbourne’s south east.
The 9-kilometre Freeway will link the Mornington Peninsula Freeway at Springvale Road in Aspendale Gardens to the Dingley Bypass in Dingley Village, creating a continuous freeway from Frankston To Clayton.
Key features of the project include:
- bridges over Governor Road, Lower Dandenong Road and Centre Dandenong Road instead of traffic lights
- a bridge over Old Dandenong Road to keep it open for Dingley Village residents
- a twin bridge over sensitive wetlands to ensure rainfall and natural light reaches the vegetation below
- tall fences next to Braeside Park to protect local wildlife
- a wider pedestrian underpass at Braeside Park to improve connectivity
- a new intersection at Lower Dandenong Road so Woodlands Drive can remain open.
With more than 75,000 motorists predicted to use this route daily by 2031, the Freeway will be vital to ease congestion and improve safety by removing 13,000 trucks from local roads.
Started in October 2019, during the first year of construction the team:
- worked more than 650,000 construction hours,
- laid 3 million tonnes of earth
- relocated over 74km of utilities
- reused more than 13 million litres of water
- laid more than 5,800 tonnes of reccyled asphalt
The project is progessing well and is on schedule to be completed in late 2021.
Watch this video update from October 2020.