Customer: Auckland Council Healthy Waters
Location: Henderson, Auckland
The Corban Reserve Stormwater Upgrade Project is to install a new 713m stormwater pipeline under Border Road in West Auckland using a 2100mm in diameter MTBM.
The existing stormwater network between Corban Reserve, Murillo Reserve and Border Road Esplanade Reserve in Henderson cannot cope during heavy rain causing localised flooding, property damage, and impacting on water quality in Opanuku Stream. A new, larger diameter pipe along Border Road will be installed to increase the capacity of the network, reduce flooding, and improve water quality in the stream.
Once completed, the new pipeline will reduce flooding in the area, increase capacity within the network to allow for future growth, and protect and enhance both Opanuku and Waitaro streams. It will also prevent landfill gases and leachate entering the stormwater network, making it safer to maintain.
The MTBM used on the St Marys Bay project in 2020 will be upcycled for this project to tunnel from Imperial Place to Border Road Esplanade. This is an environmentally complex build with residents, local schools, native wildlife and fauna, and park users all neighbouring the three worksites. The project team has carefully designed the methodology and construction programme to take into account the intricate ecological and man-made surroundings.
The project is split into three phases:
- Construct a new pipeline network from Imperial Place to Border Road Esplanade Reserve along Border Road.
- Construct a low flow pipeline to connect the main pipeline to Murillo Reserve.
- Upgrade the pedestrian bridge between Spode Place and Imperial Place.
- Upgrade Murillo Reserve, daylighting Waitaro Stream and adding new planting and pathways.
- Upgrade Border Road Esplanade Reserve with additional planting, a new boardwalk and walkway connecting the reserve with Taranui Place.
- Decommission the old Corban Reserve stormwater pipe.
- Upgrade the reserve re-contouring slopes and adding widespread planting, new paths and drainage.
- Upgrade the existing pipeline along Henderson Valley Road connecting to Waitaro Stream.
- Repair the existing stormwater culvert under Henderson Valley Road connecting to Waitaro Stream.
This project is expected to be completed in 2024.