Our tunnelling capability is unrivalled. With more than 30 years experience, we have delivered over 140 km of safe, smart, efficient tunnels and underground spaces while minimising community and environment impact.
We thrive on challenge, harnessing innovation and creativity.
We see a world where our smart, safe and efficient underground infrastructure solutions deliver maximum returns every time.
Where our projects enhance lives and environments, and leave communities richer. We set high standards for ourselves, and expect to live up to them.
Innovation, expertise and capability
We embrace and champion tunnelling technologies that improve outcomes. From specialist soft ground techniques, to the excavation of hard rock, we are constantly investing in machinery and methods that make a difference. Our state-of-the-art equipment maximises production and significantly reduces costs. Even in remote and challenging locations our drill and blast methods for mine development and hydropower projects have achieved outstanding project outcomes.
Learn more about McConnell Dowell's capabilities in Tunnel & Underground.
McConnell Dowell rises to this challenge. We construct underground transportation solutions that preserve the environment and minimise the impact of change. At the same time we
deliver vast improvements in the flow of traffic. The Company’s expertise in the design and construction of road, rail and metro infrastructure is recognised internationally, and we are
acknowledged for our capability, competency and vision.
• The lowest possible impact on existing homes, buildings and services
• Minimal in-progress risk to the cultural and physical environment, existing traffic networks, communities and workers
• Ensuring a substantial reduction in traffic congestion, pollution and noise levels
• Solutions designed and constructed to be sustainable, innovative, bold and far sighted
• Developing and maintaining strong and collaborative relationships with clients, partners and stakeholders
Waterview Connection - New Zealand
Beauty World MRT Station and Tunnels - Singapore
Water & Wastewater
By working mainly underground and out-of-sight, McConnell Dowell constructs water systems to provide new and extended infrastructure capability with minimal impact on the public.
We have been awarded a range of landmark projects because of our depth of experience in this area, and achieved considerable industry recognition for their successful outcomes.
• Designing sustainable solutions that support economic growth
• Minimising energy usage, operational costs and environmental impact
• Enabling a cleaner environment, while improving or resolving water quality
• Increasing capacity and alleviating pressure on existing networks
• Reducing or relieving waste water and storm water flooding issues
• Coordinating construction activity with concurrent civil and building works, while maintaining safe and efficient traffic access
• Significantly reducing disruption and inconvenience to businesses, residents and traffic
• Supporting high levels of community engagement and working with local businesses
Adelaide Desalination Plant - Australia
Rosedale WTP Ocean Outfall Project - New Zealand
Mining & Metals
McConnell Dowell, with its parent and partners continues to drive this progress. Our parent company the Aveng Group are a world leader in the shaft-sinking and access-development market, and
their capabilities embrace fabrication, construction, automation and the maintenance of process plants. In partnership with Mastermyne, McConnell Dowell's investment in TBM technology is
providing safe and efficient access for new mines currently in development.
• Providing game-changing technology to resource owners and developers
• The safe, compliant and efficient delivery of mine access drives using rapid advance, full-face tunnelling technology
• Making resource access more efficient, enabling a lower cost-per-unit from underground mines
• Using innovative methods to reduce the number of people required to work underground, and importantly, making it safer for those who still do
• Minimising disruption to local community life and preserving environmentally sensitive areas
Mandalong Coal, Delta Decline - Australia
McConnell Dowell Mastermyne Joint Venture
Generating and supplying sustainable ‘green’ power through hydropower plants has an impact on the wellbeing of a region’s people and economy, as well as the environment and local communities.
A diverse range of skills and experience is needed to construct a hydropower plant, and effective coordination is pivotal. Managing the expectations and wellbeing of stakeholders is equally critical,
as is delivering certainty of outcome.
Our proven track record and string of industry and environmental awards is testament to McConnell Dowell’s ability to construct successful new hydropower plants, as well as rehabilitating and
recovering the investment in existing ones.
• Adding value through innovative solutions, resulting in significant cost reductions
• Using creative construction techniques to guarantee safety and environmental compliance
• Accelerated civil programmes which reduce construction time
• Overcoming (often extreme) logistical challenges
• End design and vision, ensuring that the finished project blends in and has a positive impact on the environment
• Effective community involvement and engagement to achieve a “no complaint solution”
• Community management and awareness programmes aimed at stakeholders and local authorities
• Safeguarding local residents and mitigating the impact of noise and vibrations caused by construction
• Providing economic support by locally sourcing and upskilling onsite staff
Bogong Hydropower Project - Australia
Ambuklao Hydropower Project - Philippines
Key Project Videos
Key Tunnel and Underground Projects
- Project Milestone - Singapore Metro Tunnelling Completed at Beauty World
- Singapore Metro Tunnelling Completed at Beauty World
- Bogong Hydro Scheme, design and construction of 6 km of 5 m diameter headrace tunnel, two vertical shafts, a 1 km steel-lined high pressure tunnel, a power station to house twin 70 MW generators, and a tailrace outfall into Lake Guy, Kiewa Valley, Victoria, Australia.
- Construction of 1,200 m long conveyor decline at Mandalong, NSW, Australia.
- Blue Mountains Sewer Tunnel, NSW - excavation of approximately 18 km of gravity tunnels completed 18 months ahead of schedule and achieving several world records for tunnelling. This tunnel (supported by rock bolts and shotcrete) had a 13 km continually advancing conveyor system to remove spoil as well as 12 No. ventilation shafts.
- Senoko to Gambas Cable Tunnel, Singapore - Design and construct twin cable tunnels, 3.7 metre diameter, total length 3.4km together with 3 main access shafts and ME&I fit-out.
- Eastern Distributor Project - southern tunnels section - excavation of double-decker road tunnels by heading and benching methods with roadheaders with hydraulic breakers in Sydney sandstone.